January 23, 2014: New version of Avalon Coastal
This version presents the following improvements:
- The default source for the winds is now the GFS 0.25 from the NOAA. (was previously GFS 0.5). Winds will be more precise. As we have taken the opportunity to optimize the download of the wind files, this version is much quicker than the previous one despite the fact that it downloads 4 times more data. The GFS 0.5 is not maintained anymore on our server. If you do not wish to upgrade (free of charge) to this new version, you can still use the old version but you have to change the source of the winds in the settings.
- The board book menu is now a real navigation screen, displaying GPS position, heading and speed, with a measurement tool and more to come. Unlike the offshore version, the coastal version does not handle navigational charts but only google maps. The consequence is that, in case of power supply problem, you will "loose" the maps. (On the offshore version, maps are stored in the device so we do not have this risk).
- As some of our users were having problems in modifying the position of the route points (Start, End, Waypoints and Stopovers), we have added an easier way to move the points
- Short click on the point to be moved (the details of the point should pop up in a window)
- Short click on the desired position and the point will be moved instantly.
- The time limit is still 24 hours but the distance limit is now at 100 milles.
- More explicit warning messages when route cannot be calculated.
Those functionalities will be implemented on the offshore version within a week.
January 14, 2014: Addition of a video on new cartography and navigation functions of Avalon
The Avalon Offshore (base) version now includes Cartographic support and Navigation functions and becomes a fully integrated navigation system;
- Management of navigational maps in "offline" mode
- About 900 raster charts pre-loaded in the system (USA, New Zealand, Brazil and Argentina)
- New navigation modules with GPS positioning and main functions: Position, SOG (Speed Over Ground), COG (Heading), Distance measurement tool, Distance and heading to next waypoint (very soon)
- Capability to store and document POIs (Point Of Interest)
- Capability to save/restore frequently used routes (with waypoints, stop overs, etc)
December 31, 2014: Just added a section on forecasted routes on the Barcelona World Race
December 3, 2014: Présentation of a new version of Avalon Router Offshore at the International Boat Show in Paris (Dec 6-14, 2014)
This version will introduce Navigational charts in Avalon to enable the skipper to see the calculated route on a navigational chart together with winds, currents and other weather forecast data.
We have also added a facility to save and restore routes and basic navigation functions.
November 19, 2014: Just added a section on forecasted routes on the VOR (Volvo Ocean Race)
November 8, 2014: We have added Video Tutorials to the site.
November 6, 2014: Advanced Routing and Weather Forecast options are also available on Avalon Coastal version.
Those options offer exactly the same features as for the Offshore version. The only difference is that the routeing duration is limited to 24 hours and 2 degrees around the position.
They can be obtained as "in app products" (in main menu settings).
Octobre 27, 2014: Advanced Routing and Weather Forecast options are now available on Avalon Offshore version.
Those options can be subscribed from the Avalon main menu settings on the device. There is a one month free trial period up to Dec 31st 2014 (cancellable at any time).
Additional features are:
- Routeing on 180 hours
- Streams (MyOcean) on 5 days (Europe zone)
- Analysis of waves all along the cruise
- Analysis of winds all along the cruise
- Weather forecast display for every route point.
On the 2 versions (coastal and offshore, we have also added Stopover Management. Even during a one day cruise, it can be very useful when you want to stay at anchor for a couple of hours and still be sure to be back to the marina before the tide gate closes. It is not very useful to offshore racers but we consider that a route planner should also bring comfort and safety to the yachtsman.
Analyse of waves along the cruise:
- Sea-state summary (top right)
- Wave and swell heigth with slider bar to select time
- The 3 circles (bottom right) shows the directions of the waves (combine waves, swell and wind waves) compared to the heading of the boat.
Analyse of wind along the cruise:
- Wind state (top right)
- Le circle (bottom right) shows the wind direction and speed compared to boat heading. Time of cruise is selected with the slider bar (bottom left)
Analyse of weather forecast along the cruise:
Cick on a route point to display the weather at this point.
Oct 3, 2014: New release of Avalon Coastal (V1.8.1)
We have added a set of new reports providing a synthetic view of the cruise.
The objective of this summary report is to give the skipper and crew a quick view of the sailing conditions so that he/she can quickly approve or reject the proposed route and/or timing.
Please note that there is an option in the settings to select if the summary reports should be displayed before the route on the map or after.
In a couple of weeks, we will release a set of much more complete summary reports on the Offshore version.